eCourse - Leadership in Project Management
This is a three week course. Every week students will work on the activities and exercises required to meet the learning objectives. Students require an average of one hour per day to complete the assigned activities. You will need an average of one hour per day to complete the required activities such as lectures, forum participation and case study exercises. Participants will use a case study to practice some of the tools and methods, will participate in engaging online conversations, and will learn from the experience of development professionals from around the world. During the course you will receive a constant guidance from the instructor.
This is the perfect course for those new to the role of project manager and also for team members who want to develop their leadership skills. Course participants include: team members, program managers, project supervisors and project managers wishing to increase their skills and knowledge to lead team members. Participants to our courses come from various parts of the world, and they bring a wealth of experience and knowledge that is shared in the course forums.
At the end of this course participants will understand leadership theories and learn the key leadership skills, evaluate different motivational approaches, identify the techniques for resolving conflict and managing team issues, understand the elements of stakeholder analysis, know the steps to develop a communication plan, and the techniques for effective negotiations.
There are no requirements to take this course, although the students will benefit if they know the type of work that occurs in development organizations and development projects, or had some experience working on a project. Students should have a good internet connection, Adobe Reader in their computers as well as MS Office to work on the course assignments. Good connectivity is required to watch some of the online videos. As a convenience to our remote students you can download most of the course material to read offline. A copy of the textbook will be available in pdf format.
- Introduction to leadership theories
- Understating your leadership style
- Critical leadership skills
- Situational leadership
- Emotional intelligence
- Strategic thinking
- Ethics and leadership
- Problem solving process
- Leading teams
- Effective teamwork
- Team development stages
- Team building techniques
- Team motivation
- Embracing diversity
- Conflict management
- Coaching and mentoring
- Types resolution styles
- Building communication skills
- The communication process
- Team communications
- Building stakeholder relationships
- Identifying your stakeholders
- Stakeholder analysis
- Power, influence and persuasion
- Negotiation skills
- Managing the negotiating process
- Schedule. See the course schedule to select a date.
- Fees. The course fee is USD$150 and is due before the start of the course.
- Discount: Use code 20LPM to receive a 20% discount, only valid before the start of the course, for groups of three or more participants use the 30% discount code 30LPM.
- Course Limit: The course is limited to 20 students per class.
- Duration. The course is three weeks long and requires between 30-40 hours to complete it.
- Materials. Course materials are available for download from the online course module page to allow for printing and review.
- Evaluation. It is required that participants complete the course evaluation after they take the final exam.
- Credits. This course provides 15 PDUs (Professional Development Units)* or 35 contact hours.
Reserve your seat in the course. Use the form below to start your registration.
“I am very much proud to be one of the participants of the online course at the PM4DEV. This is an opportunity, with the kind of experience and learning shared from the interactive forum discussions with people from various organizations and countries all over the world. The course content is rich and worth the money paid for. With no hesitation will recommend this e-learning institution to colleagues, friends and family members. Keep up the great work particularly the course tutor who was enthusiastic and very much supportive to the team. “ Rose Kamara, CARE International - Sierra Leone
“I deeply appreciate the way this course is designed because it gives me great leraning opportunity with very high motivation. I have seen the case studies practice, experienced and adapted to our daily realities in the organization. The experience from others countries and others organizations gives a particular and insight to this course approach.” Kodjovi Gbekou, Compassion International Togo – Togo
“This was and excellent course and a revelation. Throughout the learning, i was actively thinking of how the concepts of leadership, especially communication relates to my ongoing project activities, and deployed better approaches based on recent knowledge to improve engagement with my team and stakeholder.” Iguniwari Ekeu-wei, World Bank - Nigeria