Hello, I am the senior instructor at PM4DEV. I have a passion for teaching project management. I have a career that spans more than 25 years in various fields, from construction to technology, consulting, education, and management. My work ranges from building schools in remote communities to implementing complex systems in more than 20 countries.
I am a Fulbright scholar. I obtained a Masters in Management Science with a specialization in project management. I also have a certification from the Project Management Institute (PMI) and an advanced certification in project management from Stanford University (SCPM)
I spent 15 years of my professional career working in the development field at CARE International, holding positions from project management, monitoring and evaluation, and capacity building to administration.
In 2005, I co-funded the organization PM4DEV to fill a gap I believe is very important. Most development organizations, NGOs, and public institutions trusted with resources to implement projects do not have the methodologies and best practices of project management that are widely used in the commercial sector. I believe there is an opportunity to improve development projects, to reduce their exposure to risks, to increase their efficiency, and above all, to increase the impact they make in the communities they serve.
With PM4DEV, I had the incredible opportunity to meet people from many countries. I have traveled extensively and I found that there is a strong need to build skills in project management. To date, I have trained close to 1,200 people who have taken my onsite and online courses. You can read some of the most recent feedback on this website.
I am responsible for the development of training materials, including coordination of the development of content for on-site and online courses. I am the lead author of the following books and courses: Fundamentals of Project Management, Project Information Management Systems, Mastering Project Management, Effective Project Management, Project Design, Monitoring and Evaluation, and Adaptive Project Management.
I’ve had the opportunity to work as a consultant and trainer for many leading international development organizations including Save the Children, International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, NetHope, United Nations Development Program (UNDP), Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO), Pan-American Health Organization (PAHO), and the Inter-American Development Bank (IADB). This work involved in the following:
- Assessment of project management capacity, tools, and practices.
- Development of knowledge management systems, methodologies, and procedures.
- Delivering customized courses on various project management areas.
- Developing organizational action plans including trouble shooting through coaching, webinars, and conference calls.
- Designing and developing online courses, including the development of course material using interactive based content.
- Development of customized project management methodologies, guidelines, and user manuals.
- Development and delivery of train-the-trainer courses.
In addition to the above, I have designed, developed and implemented the course PM4R for the Inter-American Development Bank (IADB). I trained bank personnel and project teams from various Latin American government institutions in the tools and methodologies of PM4R. I am also the co-author of the PM4R Guide at IADB, the knowledge management portal.(www.pm4r.org), and the online certification course Project Management Associate (PMA).
My most recent work includes the development of an online course on project management for the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO). The organization has placed project management as a key competency to ensure better efficiency, effectiveness, accountability, and transparency to PAHO’s project management activities.
My formal education includes:
- Project Management Professional (PMP).
- Project Management Institute (PMI) participation in congress and online courses.
- Certificate on Advanced Project Management, from Stanford University.
- Certificate in Project Leadership from Cornell University.
- Master of Science in Management (MSM), Fulbright Scholarship (USIS-IIE), Stevens Institute of Technology.
- Bachelor of Science, Civil Engineering and Bachelor of Science, Architectural Engineering from University of Miami
My favorite hobby is photography, and I have a passion for teaching. I am based in the U.S., and in the last ten years, I have visited close to 30 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, and the Caribbean.
I hope you can join me in one of my courses. We have sessions all year round.